FTDI Driver for I2C and GPIO not in Palette

Home / Topic / FTDI Driver for I2C and GPIO not in Palette

Home Forums FTDI FT4222 LabVIEW Driver Discussions FTDI Driver for I2C and GPIO not in Palette

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Bernhard Seegert
      Participant

Hi Ajay,

First many thanks for you great idea to provide LabVIEW add-ons for FT4222.

I’m going to try it out and already downloaded your SW using VIPM.

However, I cannot open the palette and cannot see the *.vi’s . The SW seems to be correctly downloaded and I can find it here: C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2017\vi.lib\AJ\FTDI Driver for I2C SPI GPIO

FTDI not showing in pallette

Do you have any idea what’s going wrong?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
      Bernhard

Ajay
      Keymaster

Hi Bernhard,

Can you please check in your VI block diagram Function Palette?

I just tried to install it in a fresh PC and found that Show In Palettes button is disabled as below.

Disabled Palettes in VIPM Installation

However it’s available in the block diagram.  In both Quick Drop as well as in Function palette

AJ Browse in Quick-drop

FTDI Functions under Addons-AJ-FTDI

Thanks,
      Ajay

Bernhard Seegert
      Participant

Hi Aj,

Thanks for your very fast reply. Maybe I’ve not correctly described the problem.

FTDI Driver Saved Location on Program Files x86

I think all files have been installed, …

FTDI Functions not seen in palettes

but I cannot see them on the palette.

FTDI AJ not seen in quick drop

Followed  your advice, but “AJ”not found.

I found this workaround on the NI page.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000001DljsCAC&l=de-DE

I’m not sure if this could help. I didn’t try because the effort is quite big.

My LabVIEW version is: 2017 SP1

Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
      Bernhard

Ajay
      Keymaster

Hi Bernhard

Could you confirm the bitness of LabVIEW (32-bit or 64-bit) where you’re trying to access quick drop or function palette?  It’s likely to happen if the driver is installed in 32-bit LabVIEW which goes under Program Files (x86), but then when you try to access it in 64-bit LabVIEW it will not show up in quick drop or function palette.

Please be noted, this FTDI driver is built for 32-bit LabVIEW and it will not reflect in 64-bit.

Thanks,
      Ajay

Bernhard Seegert
      Participant

Hi Ajay,

First thanks again for your quick response.

I’m using LabVIEW Version 17.0  SP1 64bit. If I understand right, it cannot work.
      Should I install the same LabVIEW Version, but with 32bit in parallel?

Thanks and best regards,
      Bernhard

Ajay
      Keymaster

Usually you would have installed 32-bit and 64-bit together.  You may find it in the Start Menu search.

Bernhard Seegert
      Participant

Hi Ajay,

Good news: I forgot that I’ve already installed LabVIEW 17, 32bit. It was somewhere in the background, no Icon on the desktop, so I didn’t notice.

If I run LV17, 32 bit I have all *.vis on the palette as described in your doc. As I can see it’s an 30 days evaluation version.

As the  time is running, do you have a simple FT4222 application to start like: Open, read ID, close. Or: Open, read I2C, close.  Or something else to see that I can communicate with the FT4222. My focus is on I2C.

Thanks and best regards,
      Bernhard

Ajay
      Keymaster

You can find the examples that installed with the FTDI driver under NI Example Finder in Help menu or right under NI installation location in C:\Program Files (x86)

Bernhard Seegert
      Participant

Hi Ajay,

Me again with good news. I found your You Tube your clip “how to communicate …” and also found your examples in LabVIEW.

So, thanks for you support. Please let me evaluate your vi’s and coming back later. I have all info’s.

Best regards,
      Bernhard

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.